On Monday, my friend Dane posted about the rumours of Xbox 720 & PS4 on his Facebook. I had a mini-freakout by myself just thinking about the new NEW gen consoles and then decided to freak out on Twitter.
— Maria♡Aguilar (@MariaAguilar) January 14, 2013
Over the last couple of days, multiple gaming/tech sites have been updating us gamers with some more rumours. So I decided I’d do some of the leg work and put together all of the gasp-worthy rumours in one place! You’re welcome!
concept art via Pluggedin
- Launch dates? For the new Xbox, it’s looking like most are saying it will come late in 2013 (Fall/Christmas, as they usually do!) PS4 is also reported as coming around the same time as the new Xbox, but a new source is saying maybe 2014 is more realistic.
- Microsoft just snagged a snazzy new domain – Xbox8, leading many to believe the new name might be Xbox Infinity?
- Or it could also be named Xbox Loop, though this rumour was almost 2 years ago.
- Or what about Durango? This named leaked when one of the devs tweeted it was the official codename for the new Box.
- For the PS4 – how does Orbis sound? It’s the rumoured codename.
- Xbox Live Voice Chat will be replaced by Skype. This rumour started earlier this year when this job posting by Microsoft was released.
- What really got me excited is news about the 3d Environment – it would allow the console to project images onto the walls! Also rumours about using glass technology (think Google glasses)
- And how about a 16-core processor?! Rumours that it’s to support Kinect 2, with its own awesome new advances including lip-reading ability. And of course it will have Blu-ray and DVR features.
- Meanwhile, most recently (like TODAY) it’s being reported that the PS4 will be significantly more powerful than Xbox 720 with PS4 rumoured at 1.84TF, Xbox 720 at 1.23TF.
- Price points? An earlier leaked document points to Xbox at $299 (which would be AMAZING, right?), but this report says about $400 to rival the Wiiu.
- Both consoles, though, are reported to have backwords game compatibility – that means your old PS2/Ps3, Xbox/Xbox360 games will not be compatible with the game consoles. Sad to hear at first, but also very exciting because it tells me they’re focusing on the future (or am I being overly optimistic?)
- Again, as of right now, there are all rumours – we won’t know until E3 comes a little closer in June, but I am pumped!!! (If any tech/gaming companies are reading this… SEND ME TO LA TO COVER IT PLEEEASE! I would do it almost for free!)
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!! What are you most excited about? I would like to freak out with you. :)