I’m going to keep this post short and sweet. Here is my overall progress. My “before” photo is from December 2009. Once 2010 came around, I decided to actively change my lifestyle and the result was a growing love for fitness and being healthy. Overall, I’ve lost something like 50 pounds and I’ve been on the same plateau since last year. For 2013, I am determined to break through and look different by the end of the summer. I’ve set a pretty challenging goal for myself for my birthday (end of June) so if I hit that, I think I’ll be in good shape for August/September.
Of course, my love for food has always trumped my love for fitness. (Whoever said “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” did not grow up in a household that loves and celebrates food. And for the record – I think that saying is complete bullocks) Anyway, most of the time, it’s a good thing because I’m able to create and eat delicious food that is also healthy. But, sometimes… sometimes it doesn’t work out so well. Sometimes I eat a whole chocolate bar or opt for a cheeseburger instead of a salad. And that’s okay in moderation. But lately, I’ve been really slacking off. Like, 3-4 cheat meals a week and that is NOT GOOD.
So, I’ve been looking for something to jump start my spring/summer routine! Sooooo in the spirit of OPERATION BIGGER BOOTY (remember how I told you guys about that goal?), I’ve decided that I will be participating in The 30-Day Squats Challenge!
Since I already squat on a regular basis (I work out my legs at least once a week and squats are my faaaaavourite workout ever ever ever) – I will not be doing these squats with body weight. Yup, I thought doing body weight only would be a cop-out, so I will be doing these with weights. Right now, I’m thinking of just using the Olympic bar (45 lbs.) – I think I’ll start to really get scared once I get to the second half of the month. But I’m PUMPED!
If you’d like to join me for this challenge, please make sure you know proper squat form. A simple Google search will give you thousands of results, but is is ALWAYS best to consult a professional trainer because you may injure yourself (and that’s some serious sh*t) so don’t take it lightly.
What else am I doing? And what do I recommend you do?
- Eat breakfast within 20 mins of waking up (Making overnight oats + smoothies will help with this!)
- Drink LOTS of water throughout the day – this depends on your weight, but I drink about 3-4 L (and having a water bottle handy 24/7 helps with that)
- Prep your meals; prep your snacks!
- Make sure you time your meals so that you never miss it!
- Sweat in the morning (20 mins of yoga, light jog, etc.) and sweat again in the evening (gym session)
- No caffeine for 30 days (I regularly detox on caffeine every 2 months and it just so happens that this is my caffeine-free month) You absolutely don’t have to do this, but it keeps my caffeine intake in check.’
- After the 30 days, I’m planning out a new workout routine for June/July/August. Will keep you guys in the loop.
Share your summer workout plans with me and we’ll keep each other in check! :)