How To: Froth Milk Without A Frother (+ Suggested Recipes)
Whenever I post a photo of a tea latte that I made, I can guarantee someone will ask me if I have a milk frother. I don’t! Not that they’re expensive because they’re not. But because I can use something I already have to do the job. Here’s a photo-how-to on how I froth milk without the frother – instructions below.
- Pour desired milk in your cup (I leave some room at the top for the froth)
- The Blender Ball is the key to making this work! You can get it at any sports/nutrition store, but here it is on Amazon for reference. (I use the same one I use for the post-workout protein shakes.)
- Heat up your milk in the cup. I heated mine up for 2 minutes and when you take it out, there will be little bubbles on it. Make sure it’s hot enough.
- Pour the hot milk into your shaker bottle with the blender ball.
- Shake away! About 10-15 seconds should do.
- I was making a tea latte, so here I make sure my tea ball is in the cup, then pour about 80% of the milk in. Then let it steep while you shake the rest of the milk content again.
- Then you will have super frothy milk in your shaker, so you can go ahead and pour the rest in your cup.
- Ta-da! If you want it hotter (it might have cooled a little by now), you can always microwave it all and then shake and pour – this will actually produce frothier milk :)
- You can add vanilla extract to the milk before you heat it up. You can also try this with sugar. but I haven’t yet.
- I used 1% milk here. The higher fat your milk has, the more likely it will foam up. Non-fat milk will take a while to foam and I wouldn’t even try this with almond milk.
- If you want a latte, you can add the espresso in the cup before you pour the hot milk in.
- For a hot chocolate, you can put the chocolate in the cup before you pour the hot milk in as well (I do this all the time and the results are yummy :) )
- You can also add your favourite liqueur to the frothy milk for a grown-up flavour kick! I like to add Baileys Caramel, Butterscotch, Godiva or Starbucks!