I’m doing a blog post on this because this is the safest way I know to express my feelings about this episode without spoiling people who haven’t seen it. So, if you’ve yet to see the episode and don’t want to be spoiled, please navigate away from this post. For the rest of you who have seen it and want to discuss, then…
(Ok, just wanted to share my favourite .gif of Dex beforehand.)
We can move on now.
I’m just gonna go out and say it. I am disappoint. I, like many of you, had a bajillion theories on how they could tie this season up together… and what happened was not in any of my delusional theories. I think the season was good overall, especially considering that it followed Season 4 – which is undeniably the best season on television ever. I knew there was no way they could top that season, or the season finale for that matter. But still.. I am disappoint. Let me break it down this way: Things I love about this episode vs. Things I didn’t love about this episode.
Things I love about this episode:
– No cliffhanger. I hate when shows do that and I’m glad that Dexter is not one of them. I like that they tied all the big story lines into a neat little bow.
– The intensity of a Dexter episode was still there. Your heart beats faster, you unknowingly hold your breath, maybe even cover your eyes. Or… ok, at least I do these things. This definitely happened once Quinn requested a lawyer (Shit just got real.gif) and when Deb was going down to the basement. What about you?
– Deb has really grown into her character. I used to really hate Deb. Like, really hate her. But in this season, the writers really worked on her character and she’s got a dimension now. I’m excited to see how her character does next season.
– Quinn is not dead or in jail. Ok, I know. I hated Quinn. I wanted him to die, along with Liddy for Dexter’s protection. But he’s really grown on me and his relationship with Deb seems to have really changed him (for the better). I can’t wait to see what happens to his character next season because it’s pretty obvious that he knows Dexter’s a killer (right?).
– Astor and Dexter’s relationship. I like that they are bonding and have a (more or less) healthy father-daughter relationship. It’s nice to see Dex interact with someone emotionally like that.
– And of course, Dexter didn’t get caught. Yay!
Things I didn’t love about this episode:
– Only 1 kill… I wanted BLOOD damnit.
– That one kill was Jordan Chase. Ugh! I wanted more of him. I wanted to know a back story and why he was the way he is… Sigh.
– Lumen just… left. I know it made sense that her “Dark Passenger” is gone now. But… WHAT THE HELL MAN!! I was secretly hoping Dex would just kill her right there on the kitchen floor, not gonna lie.
– I wanted Deb to find out about Dexter. This has been killing me since season one… I am getting impatient.
– LaGuerta & Angel. I don’t even know where to begin… these two annoy the heck outta me and I find them to be so useless. I hope they have less air times next season, or they die.
Also, I made a list on Twitter for some people that like to discuss #Dexter. If you wanna get a conversation going, you can tweet the folks on this list: >> http://bit.ly/dexlist – But maybe wait a few days until everyone’s seen the episode? :) Also you can just @ me if you want to be added to it!
And bonus: Did anyone else feel like Deb kind of knew that it was Dexter when she said, “Well at least it’s finally over for you” or something like that towards the end? Was that just me?And I was cringing so hard when they were on the boat and Lumen was at the front… I felt like she was going to get sniped or something? Haha (too much Black Ops for me, maybe?).
What did you think? Was it what you expected? What would you add to the love/not love list?